I spend a good amount of time on social media sites for both business and personal reasons. At times, I leave social media feeling encouraged and more connected to the lives of people around me. But other times, I leave social media feeling discouraged --- sometimes feeling as though my life, business or relationships don't measure up to those of the people I follow. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in those feelings.
I came across a tweet from Pastor Steve Furtick that really hit home with on this issue: "One reason we struggle with insecurity: we're comparing our behind the scenes to everyone else's highlight reel."
This year, I'm challenging myself to "edit" less, and to be a more mindful consumer of social media. I'm going to continue to follow the people I love and admire on social media, but I'm going to stop setting other people's highlight reels as a standard to which to compare my everyday life. So, in the interest of reminding myself that social media only tells a small portion of the story, here are 10 "behind the scenes" glimpses into my work and personal life:
1. My weddings and my email inbox are neat, tidy and organized --- but the same cannot often be said of my apartment, purse or desk. My husband often teases me by saying that I am "messier than advertised." He's right --- I am a world-class cleaner ---when I get around to it. Sorry John!
2. I rarely wear makeup, and consequently am not very good at applying it. On occasion I wear makeup at my weddings --- but only when I have time to put it on (which is rare).
3. I love good food, but I am a terrible cook. I can make chili, soup, pasta. grilled cheese, scrambled eggs and salads. Meat is my particular weakness --- I'm terrible at cooking meat. Got some good Corinne-proof recipes? Send them over!
4. One of my favorite things to do is see movies by myself --- especially morning showings when there are very few people in the theater. Often I do this because John and I have very different tastes in movies (fun fact: we once went on a "movie and dinner" date where we saw different movies ---- Lincoln for me, Skyfall for him --- and discussed them over dinner. The last movie I've saw alone was The Theory of Everything.
5. I consider myself to have really great taste in movies (fun fact: my favorite is The King's Speech), but I have terrible, deplorable and utterly shameful taste in television. For example, I watch the Bachelor(ette) every season, without fail. I love The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. If it's embarrassing, silly and on TV, I probably love it.
6. My dog is basically my favorite guy this side of anywhere. We snuggle, and it's awesome. If you've been following me on Instagram for more than a day, you probably already know this. But, two things you may not know about Rhino are that 1) he's actually more of a daddy's boy and 2) I am the worst at following through with training him. He kind of has me wrapped around his little paw.
7. I re-watch movies and tv series all the time. In fact, it's somewhat rare for me to start watching a new series or movies on Netflix --- I'd much rather watch something I've already seen and loved. Some of my favorites to enjoy time and time again include Downton Abbey, Friday Night Lights, The Office and Friends. If I'm cleaning my room, answering emails or doing a DIY project for a wedding, one of those shows is probably streaming on my Kindle.
8. I love lime-flavored cocktails. Give me a gin and tonic, caipirinha or a Moscow mule ANY day of the week and I'll love it. That said, I try to limit my intake since 1) I am the lightest of all the lightweights and 2) I have a well of deeply embarrassing behavior that I tap into when I've had too many.
9. At any given moment, there is a 67% chance that I don't know where my cell phone or my keys are. Anyone who has ever worked for me at a wedding knows that their top responsibility is being the boss of my phone.
10. I am a Meyers-Briggs-tested-and-approved Introvert. I crave, need and enjoy time in solitude. And yet, I plan social gatherings for a living. I sort of love this conundrum about myself.
There you have it --- "behind the scenes" with Corinne. I hope you've enjoyed this little peek into reality.
Until next time,